good morning, New York City! Here’s what’s happening today:
- The city council is considering a bill to ban solitary confinement on Rikers Island.
- A firefighter talks about harassment within the FDNY.
- Rachel Ray will design lunch menus for New York City School children.
But first, today’s weather:
periods of the sun. High: 70 Low: 54.
Here are the top five floors of New York City today:
- The city council will hold a hearing today on a bill banning solitary confinement on Rikers Island. Sixteen inmates have died in the volatile prison so far this week, including two last week. The hearing comes right after that The New York Times reported The city’s prison chief, Luis Molina, sought the release of a detainee suffering from cardiac arrest in order to keep him away from the administration’s account. (New York City Patch)
- Anita Daniel, the eight-year-old veteran Crown Heights firefighter, joined colleagues in testifying about rampant harassment and discrimination within the FDNY at a recent city council hearing. According to Daniel, the department’s culture encourages bad behavior that is not always reported. The council is considering a bill that would greatly diversify the FDNY’s ranks from white and male. (New York City Patch)
- New analysis from the Center for Violence Policy in New Jersey and New York respectively finds the lowest suicide rate in the United States in 2020. The study cites low gun ownership rates and strong gun control laws as the main reasons. (Gothamist)
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams indicated Tuesday that the city’s long-standing right to shelter rule would not apply to a tent camp planned to run on Orchard Beach for asylum seekers. Coming from Texas. While details about the camp remain murky, it appears that work began in earnest on Tuesday. (New York City Patch)
- Flatbush’s apartment owner will spend 6 months in prison and 5 years on probation after the death of a 70-year-old woman in 2019 in a building he owned. Owner Eviner Lyon did not pay for heating, instead providing heaters for the tenants. One of the heaters led to a fire that killed the citizen who jumped from the burning building. (City)
New York City pic of the day:
Remember to send a photo from your area to [email protected] for a chance to stand out! We love the skyscrapers, the bodega cats, the cafes, the street views, the parks, and everything else that makes this city great. Please include your full name and an optional description.
From our Wise Bread sponsor:
Interested in high paying cashback cards with no annual fees? A longtime credit card writer says These are some of the best deals He’s seen it in his years writing for top financial websites. You can get a bonus of $200 with these high-cash credit cards. Plus, enjoy continuous high cashback rates, no annual fees, or 0% interest for 15 months on purchases. Start accumulating huge cashback rewards. Click here to find out more.
Today in New York City:
- New York’s 22nd Annual Diversified Career Day Fair Times Square (11 a.m.)
- MindTravel Silent Walk Meditation On the New York City High Line (6 pm)
- Alex deSuze presents “Late Bloomer” – Don’t Tell Mama (7pm)
- Zain Khaled and Sarah Thankam Matthews: An evening with authors of two first novels – Revolution Books (7pm)
- Celebrate Oktoberfest With Stein Hoisting Competition at Clinton Hall (7:30 p.m.)
Crime and Safety Corner:
- A man and a woman are expected to survive after being shot in the leg on 125th Street in broad daylight On Tuesday, according to police. (New York City Patch)
- It took more than 100 firefighters to respond to a blaze in a 6-story building in Washington Heights on Tuesday, that did not cause injuries. (New York City Patch)
From my notebook:
- Celebrity Chef Rachel Ray will join a panel of chefs to develop healthy vegetarian lunches For public school students in New York City. (New York City Patch)
- If you want to learn more about the quality of public school lunches in New York CityLook no further than the student-run Instagram account. (Instagram)
- Trinity School on the Upper West Side has been named the sixth best private high school in the country in a new ranking. Here is the location of some of the other elite schools in the city. (New York City Patch)
- New York City has no plans to force a COVID-19 vaccine mandate on police officers while appealing a judge’s ruling to overturn itAccording to the Police Charity Association. (New York Post)
- New York City allocated $127 million in matching funds to candidates during the 2021 election season, in a very crowded primary field. (City)
More Sponsors – Thanks for supporting local news!
- Speyer School Virtual Tour (September 28)
- Zain Khaled and Sarah Thankam Matthews: An Evening with the Authors of Two First Novels: (September 28)
- Speyer School Virtual Tour (September 29)
- Madison Avenue Men’s Style Month Late Night Shopping Block Party (September 29th)
- Italian Cooking Class and Dinner with Tiramisu Finale, New York (30 September)
- Jewel Yachting Dance Under Friday party on a midnight yacht in the moonlight of New York City (September 30)
- Annual Garage Sale at West 44th Street (October 1)
- 32nd Street West 104th Annual Sale (October 1)
- Adelphi Orchestra – A Letter of Love to Humanity (1 October)
- Jewel Yacht Hip Hop vs Reggae® NYC Saturday Midnight Yacht Party 2022 (October 1)
- Summerbridge Ma Doll, Bear Show, Miniatures & Sale (October 2nd)
- The Evil Queen’s Halloween Drag Brunch: New York City / Brooklyn / Bushwick (October 2)
- My Name is Marina: Jazz Pavilion Celebrating Russian Poet Marina Tsvetaeva (October 2)
- What everyone’s talking about with Abigail Pogrebin: Mark Schiemann, award-winning composer (October 3)
- City Gate Productions Presents: Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay-Abaire (October 14)
- Uptown Riders Street Art Bike Tour (October 15)
- Dracula. Theater in St. Jeans October 18-19 (October 19)
- Add your event
Vehicles and services:
You’re now in the loop and ready to start Wednesday! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update.
– Dashiell Allen
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for the next New York City Daily? Contact me at [email protected]
#Ban #solitary #confinement #front #York #City #Council #Fire #Department