clear from American Academy of Sleep Medicine I found it 93% of Generation Z lost sleep because they stayed up “after bedtime” watching or participating in social media. With students back in school for another year, this stressed and tired generation may lack the healthy enough sleep they need to excel in the classroom, the curriculum and beyond.
“Viral videos, trendy TikTok dances, and funny memes are an easy rabbit hole to fall into, making young minds buzz at night and waste time that could otherwise be spent sleeping,” said Dr. Member of the AASM Public Awareness Advisory Committee. “When social media use disrupts students’ sleep, it can affect physical and mental health as well as performance in school and the curriculum.”
To educate students, parents, and teachers about the importance of sleep for success, well-being and general health, AASM holds its third year Student Sleep Health Week From 12-18 September 2022.
Prioritizing social media over sleep isn’t just an issue for students – it’s pervasive across all ages, with 80% of the total population admitting to losing sleep due to the liking, swiping, and scrolling that comes with watching or sharing in social media.
The AASM offers the following tips to help maintain a healthy relationship with social media, sleep, and avoid feeling “TikTok tired” during the day:
- Unplug devices at nightTurn off all electronic devices at least 30 minutes to an hour before your bedtime to help prepare for bed.
- Follow a comfortable nighttime routine—Find something you’re looking forward to doing, like taking a warm shower, reading a book, or writing a diary to help you unwind at the end of the day.
- Leave your phone in another room—It’s tempting to use your phone, so keep it in a separate room at night. If you use your phone for your morning alarm, consider using an alarm clock instead.
- Turn off push notifications—If your phone must be in your bedroom at night, turn off notifications and sound to avoid using your phone.
- Set time limits on social media—Many phones and apps allow you to activate limits that notify you when you reach your exact time on the site.
- Set a sleep scheduleGo to bed and wake up at the same times regularly and stick with that! Don’t let swiping stop you from getting your precious hours of sleep.
Sleep experts from AASM will hold a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) discussion at 5 p.m. ET on Monday, September 12, during Student Sleep Health Week. Learn more about Student Sleep Health Week and access teacher resources And the Information on the benefits of later school start times.
To help determine the right bedtime for your schedule, use AASM Online sleep time calculator.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine commissioned an online survey of 2010 adults in the United States. The overall margin of error decreased by +/- 2 percentage points with a 95% confidence interval. Fieldwork took place between 17 and 24 February 2022. Atomik Research is an independent market research agency.
About the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Founded in 1975, the American Sports Medicine Association advances sleep care and promotes sleep health to improve life. AASM has a combined membership of 11,000 certified sleep centers and individuals, including physicians, scientists, and other healthcare professionals who care for patients with sleep disorders. As a leading sleep company, AASM sets standards and promotes excellence in sleep medicine, healthcare, education, and research (aasm.org).
#tired #TikTok #Generation #admit #staying #bedtime #social #media