Pet insurance provides financial protection from expensive vet bills and peace of mind that your pet will receive care if they are sick or injured. Unfortunately, many of the best pet insurance companies only cover dogs and cats — not exotic animals.
We researched the Home Media reviews team at Best pet insurance companies It surveyed 1000’s of pet parents to find the best exotic pet service providers. Here are our top recommendations.
What is Exotic Pet Insurance?
Exotic pet insurance works the same way as regular insurance pet insurance plan. Plans usually cover costs related to your pet’s accidents and illnesses, such as fees for veterinary examinations, lab work, and x-rays. Unlike human health insurance, you pay the vet directly upon discharge and get reimbursed from your provider later.
The main difference between standard pet insurance and exotic pet insurance is the type of animal covered. Here are the common pets found in the “exotic” category of a pet insurance company:
- bearded dragon
- guinea pigs
- Other reptiles
- sugar gliders
What does exotic pet insurance cover?
Exotic pet insurance policies cover procedures and treatments similar to those for cats and dogs. This means compensating for the common health care problems of reptiles, birds, rodents, and more. As with typical pet insurance, coverage only includes accidents and illnesses. Preventive care, such as routine vet visits, is not covered. Pre-existing conditions have also been excluded.
Here are some of the things that exotic pet insurance covers:
- Accidental injuries
- chronic diseases
- common diseases
- genetic issues
- recovery procedures
- laboratory work
- dangerous diseases
How much does exotic pet insurance cost?
Exotic pet insurance Costs similar to standard pet insurance. The monthly premium can range from $10 to $100. The type of pet you want to cover, your location, the reimbursement percentage, the discount, the health extras, and the pet’s age and breed are all influential prices.
Conclusion: Should I Get Exotic Pet Insurance?
Exotic pet insurance helps you avoid exorbitant vet bills when your pet gets sick or injured. It can even save your pet’s life in an emergency, ensuring that you don’t have to worry about out-of-pocket costs for necessary surgery. Although it comes at a monthly cost, there are plenty of them Cheap pet insurance companies to match your budget.
Currently, only nationwide pet insurance provides coverage for exotic animals. We recommend comparing several pet insurance companies if you own a dog or cat.
Pet insurance nationwide
Known for its work in the auto insurance industry, Nationwide offers the Avian and Exotic Pet Plan. This plan covers most species of exotic birds and animals, such as parrots, rabbits, turtles, and hedgehogs. However, the company does not share cost information for the Avian and Exotic Pet Plan online.
Pet insurance nationwide covers up to 90% of covered illness and accident costs, including vet checkups, hospitalizations, medication, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions About Exotic Pet Insurance
Methodology: Our ranking system for the best pet insurance companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, simulating the bid and purchase process, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess customer service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide in order to identify the most important elements Pet insurance coverage.
We scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those items. We then divided the points earned for each provider’s final score on a 5-point scale.
Here are more details about each factor and how they are weighted:
- Monthly Pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive coverage with affordable plan options.
- Plans (15 points): The best pet insurance companies offer accident and sickness plans, accident-only plans, and add-ons for wellness or preventative care to give customers the option to choose a plan that is better for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we ranked companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a wider range of built-in treatments and unique coverage scored more points than providers with more standard or generic policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to make sure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more options for annual limit, discount, and reimbursement rate got the highest scores.
- Customer Service (10 points): We scored companies on the general accessibility and usability of their websites, customer service availability, mobile apps (if applicable), money back guarantees and veterinary telehealth options, awarding points to insurance companies with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed recent ratings and certification information from Better Business Bureau (BBB) and companies listed on their years of industry experience and availability in the country.
- Waiting Periods (10 points): Companies with shorter waiting times for accidents, illness and orthopedics between the date of subscription and the date of coverage start scored higher than companies with longer waiting times.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies do not offer policies for pets over a certain age. We have deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our ranking system to compare each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance companies in the industry. In addition, we keep our research up to date and revisit our reviews on a regular basis.
#Rare #Pets #Insurance #Guide